Don’t build a house when a hurricane is coming! In the same way, don’t try to lose weight when your mind is not focused & ready for change.
When you want to change something in your life, you have to be ready to change; otherwise the result will be a disappointment. You may get part of the way towards your goal but a lack of motivation or desire to continue will kick in and you will be back to square one.
This often happens with ‘yo-yo’ dieting. You restrict yourself from food on a daily basis but then when you return to normal eating, you put the lost weight back on.
The most important part of a weight loss plan is to get your mindset right before anything else. Don’t even think about deciding on food choices or exercise regimes. If you have not thought about your desired state or a plan on how to reach your desired state, no amount of healthy eating or exercise will work effectively.
One of the biggest reasons people fail is because they lack a plan. You are 85% more likely to fail if you don’t have a plan in place. A plan will set out exactly what is needed to achieve your goal(s).
Answer the following simple questions to get your mind ready for action. Once your mind is ready then concentrate on your eating and exercise.
- What is your overall current health and fitness goal?
- How would you know you’ve achieved it?
- What would it really mean to you if you could achieve it?
- When would you like to achieve it by?
- How motivated are you to take action towards your goal on a scale of 1 to 10 (1=least motivated; 10=ready to start right now)?
- What would you like to see happen in the next:
o 5 weeks?
o 6 months?
o 12 months?
- What barriers have stopped you in the past from achieving your goal?
Be completely honest with your answers, which will then become your focus for your weight loss plan.